Dr. Tim Ayers - World Traveler and eCore Chemistry Instructor

Beijing, China

What is your University System of Georgia home institution, and where did you receive your degrees?
I have served as a lecturer in the chemistry department at the University of West Georgia now for eight years.  I was initially offered this position upon completion of my Ph.D. at the University of Georgia.  The opportunity to come home to teach at the institution where I also received my undergraduate degree in chemistry was just too good to pass up. 

How long have you taught eCore classes?
This is my second year teaching eCore chemistry, and I have found it to be both challenging and rewarding, and it has also allowed me the opportunity to get to know the great team of people who work for eCore.




Why did you become a college instructor, and what drew you to the field of Chemistry?
I was first drawn into both science and teaching by my high school chemistry teacher, Coach Powell.  He is a legend at Bowdon High School, which is located in a small town just down the road from UWG.  The combination of my education and experiences has allowed me to teach chemistry to my students effectively, while relating to them as people, since the majority of the UWG student body is derived from the West Georgia area. 

What do you enjoy about teaching online?
I love teaching both at the college level and with eCore, due to the freedom and flexibility that exists both in and out of the classroom.


Romo, the first unofficial eCore "spokesdog"
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time – outside of the “classroom”?

This is the more challenging part…talking about the “non-teacher” version of me.   In my spare time, I enjoy relaxing to a movie or TV show (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, How I Met Your Mother are my favorites) or reading a book (anything by Mitch Albom or Paulo Coelho).  My favorite mid-semester activity is a relaxing camping trip to the mountains.

I'm also a proud member of the Carrollton Evening Sertoma Club, where I was honored to recently be elected as President.

Of course, my faithful dog, Romo, is never far away after I step through the back door following work.  He is a six year old mountain cur who is super friendly and is semi-employed by eCore as the unofficial mascot and “spokesdog”.  


What is something interesting about you that your students would be surprised to know?
I love to travel and have been lucky enough to go to faraway places like India, China, Vietnam, and Cambodia. 

Lastly, what advice do you have for students taking online classes for the first time?

The best advice that I could give to a student taking an eCore class for the first time is to develop a concrete schedule of times that you devote to your courses. The flexibility offered by online learning is an amazing benefit, but also relies heavily on self-motivation and dedication.



Cambodia

0 comments:

Post a Comment